Introduction to good Dryer Vent Cleaning:
A dryer is a powered household appliance that dries your clothes by sending the moisture laden air outside your house with the help of a vent. Cleaning the dryer vent is often overlooked or postponed by homeowners. However, it is important to clean dryer vents on a regular basis to improve performance efficiency of the dryer, lower energy costs and avoid fire hazards. Yes, cleaning of dryer vents is imperative as a clogged vent can restrict the airflow and cause the dryer to overheat resulting in fire accidents. Clothes dryer vent cleaning should be undertaken on a routine basis to ensure that the dryer functions at its optimal capacity. Generally experts recommended that dryers should be cleaned and serviced once or twice in a year.
Why is dryer vent cleaning very important?
1. Threat of fire: The accumulation of lint and other debris in the dryer vent ductwork can trigger a fire. The lint trap collects only 60% of the lint and rest gets accumulated in the dryer vent system. As per the statistical data recorded by the National Fire Protection Agency, more that 18,000 structural fire accidents in the U.S are triggered by clogged vents. Innumerable cases of deaths and injuries have been reported on account of dryer vent fires. Studies have evidenced that a cleanly maintained dryer vent reduces the chances of fire by 90%.
2. Reduces performance efficiency of dryer: When there is excess accumulation of lint in the dryer vent the dryer has to work much harder that it was made to work. This causes a stress on the dryer making it function less efficiently. The drying process is time consuming and the dryer also gets heated up. Yes, perpetual accumulation of lint can impact negatively on the performance of the dryer.
3. Risk of contamination: Lint is not only flammable but also highly toxic in nature. Children at home may be exposed to the risk of contaminated lint components. In some cases food may also be contaminated by this lint. Hence it is important to make sure that dryer vents are clean.
4. Unpleasant smell: Clothes may also smell bad and you will have to rinse your clothes again and dry them. This may be time consuming in nature.
5. Saves your energy bills: Frequent dryer vent cleaning increases efficiency and ensures incredible savings on your monthly energy bills.
Signs that your dryer vent needs periodic cleaning and maintenance:
1. When clogs buildup in the inner walls of the flexible duct that is found between the wall and the dryer it is a sure-fire indication of a dirty dryer vent. Hence you should resort to immediate cleaning.
2. Similarly if you find that the clothes are wet but hot then also it is an indication that the ducts are clogged up and needs clean up service.
3. If the drying process takes too long then also you should be alert that the dryer vent is accumulated with debris.
4. The increased external dryer temperature is also a warning sign that the dryer vent needs to be cleaned up.
Prolonged accumulation of lint and debris can pose a threat to the well-being of your clothes dryer. Make sure that you call for the professional cleaning companies to clean your blocked vents. This is because they have the right equipment and the experience to get the job done in a perfect manner.